Experience and Recognition
- Honored in the Virginia Lawyers Weekly’s 2020 Influential Women of Law; award ceremony held Feb. 18,2020.
- Recognized by Super Lawyers® as a “Top Rated Medical Malpractice Attorney in Washington, DC”
- Honored with inclusion on the Super Lawyers® list every year since 2014.
- Selected for the Super Lawyers® Rising Stars list in 2013.
- Past member of the DC Bar Tort Law Section Steering Committee (elected for a three year term, 2013-2016)
- American Association for Justice: State Delegate from Virginia (selected 2019)
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association: Governor at Large (2017-present)
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association: Past Chair of Women’s Caucus
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association: Past Chair of Diversity Caucus
- District of Columbia Trial Lawyers Association: Past Chair of the Women’s Caucus
Speaking Engagements and Seminars
- Speaker at the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association May Tort Law Seminar “Med School for Attorneys”: May 27, 2020 [online webinar]
- Speaker at the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association Annual Convention; March 27, 2020 [online webinar]
- Speaker at the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association Advocacy Seminar; October 22, 2019
- Speaker at the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association Advanced Auto Retreat; July 12, 2019
- Moderated the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association Judges Panel at the Annual Convention at the Homestead Resort; March 29, 2019
- Presenter for Virginia Trial Lawyers Association Young Lawyers Boot Camp; February 2019
- Organized and Moderated the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association Wrongful Death Retreat; October 2018
Amy lives in Fairfax County with her family. She is an active volunteer at her son’s school. She is passionate about working to promote literacy and support education programs for children.
- 2012 Co-Chair of Holiday Shops, the Junior League of Washington’s largest fundraiser, supporting its mission to promote literacy programs in Washington DC.
- Past board member for After School All Stars, supporting after school programs in Washington DC public schools.
- Past board member for the Trust for the National Mall’s L’Enfant Society.
- Organized multiple book drives to benefit Virginia early childhood education centers.
- Participates in Women’s Justice Day with the American Association for Justice to lobby at Congress on consumer protection legislation.
- Participates in Justice Day with the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association to advocate for legislation to promote safety in Virginia communities.
$10 Million Settlement
Over $10 million in a products liability case against a car manufacturer.
$10 Million Settlement
Over $10 million in a premises liability action for an injured child.
$7.5 Million Settlement
A $7.5 million for paraplegia injuries in a premises liability action.
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, J.D. – 2003
- University of Colorado, B.A. – 2000
Professional Associations & Memberships
Virginia and Washington D.C. Catastrophic Injury Lawyer
Clients who work with Amy Griggs are getting the benefit of a lawyer who has experienced medical malpractice cases from all sides. Very few lawyers have the life experiences Amy has, making her perspective truly unique.
While starting her legal studies during her first year of law school, a close member of Amy’s family received negligent medical treatment triggering a claim for medical malpractice. Amy has lived through the process of a medical malpractice lawsuit and knows firsthand the stresses a family faces. She now brings a unique sensitivity to her work on behalf of her clients.
In addition to knowing what it’s like to be a family member in a lawsuit, Amy was previously a medical malpractice defense lawyer. Her experience representing doctors and hospitals in medical malpractice cases gives her insight into the obstacles injury victims face. Amy develops careful, personalized legal strategies for each client to enable them to get their lives back on track.
Amy Griggs has been representing families in medical malpractice and catastrophic personal injury cases since 2007. Amy’s priority is to help families through the legal process with compassion and understanding. When a family is in need of a personal injury lawyer, it’s a stressful and complicated time. Amy helps families understand the process of litigation, from what they can expect during the investigation and work-up of a case through the litigation process toward trial or mediation. Amy creates a true partnership with her clients, allowing them to stay involved, feel prepared, and to know what to expect at each phase of litigation.
Litigation is stressful and the choice of a lawyer is important. Amy understands that choice and is available to speak about how her practice works to minimize the stress of litigation for the client while guiding the client through the legal system toward the best recovery possible.
Amy also has significant experience teaming with other lawyers on a referral basis to assist during discovery, mediation and at trial and to bring her expertise and knowledge to achieve resolution of referral cases.
Amy Griggs is a recognized expert in litigation and routinely speaks at legal education seminars on topics including overcoming unconscious bias in litigation, representing undocumented clients, social media research for trial, ethics, and seminars on marketing and business development for lawyers.
If you believe Amy Griggs would be a good fit for your case, please contact her at 202-349-2804.