The human brain controls personality, memories, speech, vision, movement and many other important functions. Thus, when the brain is injured, these functions can be lost or forever altered. A traumatic brain injury (TBI), which can result from almost any kind of accident, may cause difficulties speaking or comprehending language. Depending on the affected area of the brain and extent of the damage, cognitive problems and/or difficulty moving may also result. Consequently, TBIs are usually emotionally and financially costly for accident victims and their families. However, if someone else’s negligence caused your TBI or that of a loved one, then you may be able to recover compensation for your medical bills, rehabilitation costs, ongoing expenses and more.
The attorneys at Regan Zambri Long PLLC have more than 100 years of combined experience fighting for the rights of people with catastrophic injuries, including TBIs. In one case, we secured a $6.2 million verdict for a man who suffered a traumatic brain injury while skiing at a dangerously designed ski slope. If you need a Washington DC brain injury lawyer, then contact our law firm today. In a free consultation, we can answer your questions and make sure you understand all important aspects of a legal claim. We can then evaluate the full effect of your TBI, including all past and future medical expenses, so that you get the compensation you truly deserve.
Our Recent Settlements
A $975,000 settlement in a product liability case resulting from a defectively designed bunk bed which caused the death of an infant.Read More
A $1.4 Million judgment entered for the widow of a police officer who was killed in the line of duty while assisting in a traffic accident.Read More
A settlement of $2.45 Million in a Maryland malpractice action for severe injuries suffered by a 69 year old patient during routine heart surgery.Read More
What Are Possible Symptoms of Brain Injury?
The symptoms of brain injury vary widely depending on the location and severity of the trauma. In some cases, the symptoms may last only a short while or may improve over time. However, in many cases involving severe brain trauma, the effects are permanent and often seriously disabling.
- Aphasia. This condition creates difficulties speaking and understanding language. People with aphasia may be unable to find the correct words to express themselves or may struggle with pronunciation. In other cases, victims may have difficulty understanding spoken language.
- Cognitive impairment. People with brain trauma may develop cognitive problems such as loss of memory, concentration, planning and impulse control. According to the CDC, cognitive impairment symptoms can make it difficult for individuals with TBIs to conduct daily tasks and personal care without assistance.
- Personality changes. Brain injuries may cause changes in personality, and may increase depression, irritability and anxiety.
- Impaired vision. TBIs may cause blurred vision, double vision or decreased peripheral vision. Sometimes, these impairments may decrease over time as the brain heals and adapts. However, in severe cases, complete and permanent vision loss in one or both eyes may occur.
- Cerebral palsy. Newborns who suffer TBIs during delivery may develop cerebral palsy, a condition that causes problems with muscle coordination and movement. Cerebral palsy may also cause learning difficulties or impaired communication. Depending on the extent of the birth injury, these impairments may range from mild to severe.
- Motor problems. Difficulties with balance, reflexes or movement are common symptoms of traumatic brain injuries.
Washington DC Brain Injury Lawyer Explains Legal Options for Compensation
What Are the Most Common Causes of Brain Injuries?
Often, TBIs are the result of an accident caused by the negligent actions of another party. Some of the most common causes of traumatic brain injury include:
- Birth injuries. Physical trauma, oxygen deprivation (hypoxia) and/or reduced blood flow to the brain during delivery can cause significant brain damage to newborns. This may occur when obstetricians or other workers make medical mistakes, such as failing to monitor for signs of fetal distress.
- Medical malpractice. Adults and children can also suffer TBIs caused by medical mistakes. For example, a doctor may fail to diagnose or treat illnesses that cause injuries to the brain, such as meningitis. Surgical errors and medication mistakes may also cause brain injuries from trauma or oxygen deprivation.
- Motor vehicle accidents. CDC statistics show that car accidents are a primary cause of TBIs. In a crash, brain trauma often results from the blunt force trauma of the collision or airbag deployment. However, whiplash can also cause severe concussions and symptoms of brain injury, without physical trauma.
- Slips and falls. Slip and fall accidents are a common cause of brain injuries, particularly for the elderly.
These are only a few possible examples where our brain injury attorneys may be able to help you or a loved one recover compensation.
Need a Washington DC Brain Injury Lawyer? Call Our Law Firm Today
Hospitals bills, rehabilitation services, home modifications and expensive medical equipment can push the financial costs of a TBI into the millions of dollars over a lifetime. Additionally, a severe TBI can prevent you from returning to work or working at all. However, if you or a loved one suffered a TBI, then you may have options to recover compensation from the parties responsible for your injury. Depending on the circumstances, one or more parties may be liable for damages.
Our traumatic brain injury lawyers are your partners in justice. We will use all resources at our disposal to fight for your rights to compensation. For a free consultation in Washington DC, Maryland or Virginia, call (202) 463-3030 or fill out a confidential online case review form. We handle cases on a contingency fee basis, meaning you do not pay us fees unless we recover compensation for you or your loved one.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Top DC Brain Injury Attorney
Our Washington DC personal injury lawyers have recovered millions of dollars in compensation for our clients. Backed by more than 100 years of combined experience, our firm has an established reputation for pursuing legal excellence. As our client, you will enjoy peace of mind in knowing that your rights will be protected from start to finish. We will do everything in our power to secure the maximum compensation you need to pay for injury-related expenses, such as medical care and lost income, as well as full compensation for all of the physical and emotional consequences of your injuries.