DC Defective Product Attorneys Explain Your Consumer Rights
When you buy something, whether it is food, a vehicle, a child’s toy or even medication, you trust that it will be safe for its intended use. However, if an item is defective or unreasonably dangerous, then consumers may be at risk for serious injuries, illness or death. For example, contaminated food can cause severe infections, including E. coli and hepatitis A. Alternatively, a defective auto part may fail at high speeds, causing a catastrophic car crash. Even a small flaw in the manufacture, design or labeling of a product can cause irreversible injury. If you or a loved one suffered harm from a defective product, then you may be able to file a claim for compensation under product liability law. Depending on the circumstances, you might be able to hold the manufacturer, distributor and/or other parties accountable for your medical expenses and other damages.
The Washington DC defective product attorneys at Regan Zambri Long PLLC have extensive experience with these types of injury claims. If you believe that a product defect caused or contributed to your injuries, then contact us today. We will thoroughly investigate the situation to find all possible liable parties so that you get the full amount of compensation you deserve.
Our Recent Settlements
A $975,000 settlement in a product liability case resulting from a defectively designed bunk bed which caused the death of an infant.Read More
A $1.4 Million judgment entered for the widow of a police officer who was killed in the line of duty while assisting in a traffic accident.Read More
A settlement of $2.45 Million in a Maryland malpractice action for severe injuries suffered by a 69 year old patient during routine heart surgery.Read More
What Are Common Types of Product Defects?
Essentially any type of product may be defective and dangerous in almost any imaginable way. However, premises liability law generally groups defects by the source of the flaw. According to this system, the three general types of product defects are:
- Design defect. In some cases, the basic design of a product may present unreasonable hazards to users. For example, a design defect in some vehicles make them prone to rollover accidents, which may cause serious and preventable injuries in the event of a car crash.
- Manufacturing defect. Even if the design of an item is sound, negligence or errors during the manufacturing process may result in defects. For instance, poor health standards at a food packaging plant may result in contamination, causing potentially fatal food poisoning.
- Labeling defect. Sometimes, a product may be safe only for certain uses and may pose a significant danger in other circumstances. Therefore, most consumer products must contain clear instructions and warning labels concerning the item’s correct use. If a company fails to include these labels, then users may cause themselves inadvertent injury. For example, if a drug interacts negatively with another medication, then the pharmaceutical company must include warnings to that effect.
Generally, injury victims do not know whether a labeling, design or manufacturing defect caused their accident. However, a product liability lawyer can investigate similar incidents involving the same product. An attorney can also find the manufacturer and determine if all proper safety procedures and tests were performed. Additionally, it is difficult to take on the big companies and multinational corporations that produce many consumer products alone. Therefore, if you or a loved one sustained injuries from a defective product, then you should consult a product liability attorney about your options.
Our Washington, DC Product Liability Attorneys Are Here to Help
When Can I File a Product Liability Claim?
Product liability law allows you to seek compensation for your injuries and damages from the parties responsible for a defective product. However, these laws are complex and vary from state to state. Depending on the circumstances, you may be able to file a product liability claim for:
- Negligent design or manufacturing. Often, your attorney must demonstrate that the liable party’s negligence resulted in a dangerous defect, which then caused your injuries. In general, any act that falls below a standard of reasonable care is negligent. For example, a negligent company may disregard standard safety tests or ignore unfavorable results.
- Breach of warranty. A warranty is a guarantee concerning a given product and usually applies to an item’s use. Additionally, a warranty may be express or implied (understood due to the product’s marketing, labeling or commonly assumed purpose). If an accident or injury happens in circumstances covered by this kind of guarantee, then you may have grounds for a claim.
- Strict liability. In some cases, the manufacturer may be liable for injuries caused by defective products, regardless of negligence. For example, a company may be liable for injuries caused by defective medical devices, even if there was no negligence in the design or manufacturing process.
- Consumer fraud. Additional laws may apply if there is evidence that a company knowingly misrepresented an item’s benefits or concealed product defects. In these cases, victims may receive additional compensation, depending on state laws.
Our defective product attorneys can explain the complexities of these laws to you and help determine whether you have a claim.
Learn More in a Free Consultation with Our Defective Product Attorneys
If you have questions about product liability law or need assistance with a tort law claim, then contact our law firm today. We can investigate the circumstances of your injuries and take steps to identify all liable parties. We can represent your best interests in a product liability lawsuit and will fight for your right to compensation in negotiations or the courtroom, if necessary.
Our defective product attorneys represent clients in Washington DC, Maryland and Virginia. Call (202) 463-3030 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Top Defective Product Attorney
Our Washington DC personal injury lawyers have recovered millions of dollars in compensation for our clients. Backed by more than 100 years of combined experience, our firm has an established reputation for pursuing legal excellence. As our client, you will enjoy peace of mind in knowing that your rights will be protected from start to finish. We will do everything in our power to secure the maximum compensation you need to pay for injury-related expenses, such as medical care and lost income, as well as full compensation for all of the physical and emotional consequences of your injuries.