Are you the parent or legal guardian of a child or other loved one who has been diagnosed with cerebral palsy? Birth injuries like cerebral palsy can be traumatic and completely alter the course of your family’s life. While cerebral palsy can be due to natural development, many parents choose to pursue legal action if the injury is the result of an avoidable error or another form of medical negligence.
Cerebral Palsy Birth Injury Lawyers in Washington, DC
Regan Zambri Long has a leading Washington DC cerebral palsy lawyer ready to fight for justice on your behalf. When medical negligence causes your child’s condition, we hold the responsible parties liable for the damage. We know the impact that a cerebral palsy diagnosis has, and we will stand by you throughout this fight.
Whether you need help deciding what is the best legal path to take, have questions about your case, or are ready to file a legal claim today, a lawyer at Regan Zambri Long is ready to talk to you today. We are the leading DC cerebral palsy lawyers. Our consultations are free – we only collect a fee if we win your case. Call us today at 202-960-4596 or send us a message to get started by speaking with a lawyer today.
Cerebral palsy frequently results from avoidable medical errors. Some studies say as many as 23% of the cases are due to avoidable medical errors. If your child has been diagnosed with cerebral palsy, please feel free to contact us and schedule a consultation with one of our Washington, DC cerebral palsy lawyers.
We have an experienced labor and delivery nurse/attorney and a hospital risk manager/attorney on staff that would be happy to talk to you about your child. Our attorneys are very experienced in handling cases involving cerebral palsy and other birth injuries.
$4.2 Million Settlement for Severe Brain Injuries at Birth
Regan Zambri Long won a settlement of $4.2 million for a child who suffered severe brain injuries at the time of his birth due to the negligence of a Maryland hospital and its physicians. The settlement included periodic payments which are expected to provide over $10 million in benefits to the child over his lifetime.
Our Recent Settlements
A $975,000 settlement in a product liability case resulting from a defectively designed bunk bed which caused the death of an infant.Read More
A $1.4 Million judgment entered for the widow of a police officer who was killed in the line of duty while assisting in a traffic accident.Read More
A settlement of $2.45 Million in a Maryland malpractice action for severe injuries suffered by a 69 year old patient during routine heart surgery.Read More
Our firm may be able to assist you in investigating the cause of your child’s condition as well as exploring compensation that may help you care for a child with special needs. During a free initial consultation, our Washington DC birth injury lawyers can answer your questions and help you understand the extent of your rights. We are proud to have recovered millions of dollars in compensation for our clients over the years.
Our Washington DC Cerebral Palsy Lawyers Are Here to Help
What is cerebral palsy?
Cerebral palsy is a general medical term used to describe chronic brain disorders that impair a child’s ability to control body movement. Cerebral palsy occurs when the baby’s developing brain sustains damage or injury before, during, or after birth.
The baby sustains damage to their brain’s white matter (also known as periventricular leukomalacia or PVL) and loses brain tissue, which is caused by bleeding or a decrease of blood and oxygen in the brain. The condition can happen naturally, but it can also be the result of a medical practitioner’s negligence.
The symptoms of cerebral palsy vary greatly, but signs usually appear in the first few years of a child’s life. Cerebral palsy is often first detected by parents who suspect that their child’s motor skill development may be abnormal or delayed. Babies with cerebral palsy often struggle to reach important developmental milestones, such as learning to walk, smile, crawl, sit up, or roll over.
Common Causes of Cerebral Palsy
- Oxygen deprivation to the brain during labor and delivery
- Trauma to the head during labor and delivery
- Stroke following a traumatic or delayed delivery
- Infections during pregnancy
- Placenta abnormalities, such as placenta previa or placental abruption
- Jaundice in the infant that is not treated quickly
- Rh incompatibility
Whether it was a failure to treat your newborn’s jaundice, improper use of forceps, improper vacuum extraction technique, undetected infection during pregnancy, or another form of medical negligence that caused your child’s cerebral palsy, Regan Zambri Long’s Washington DC birth injury attorneys can help.
Cerebral palsy, along with many other birth injuries, is not always preventable or avoidable. However, there are many cases in which the damage or injury that caused cerebral palsy could have been avoided. If the latter is true for your child, then you may have a case.
Some studies say as many as 23% of the cases are due to avoidable medical errors. In these cases, medical malpractice must be proven to gain compensation in a legal claim, and significant compensation is possible. To prove medical malpractice in cerebral palsy birth injury cases, you will need an experienced lawyer by your side throughout your case.
How will the birth injury lawyers at Regan Zambri Long help with my case?
When you have a child who has been diagnosed with cerebral palsy after a preventable error or accident, a top Washington DC cerebral palsy lawyer at Regan Zambri Long will help you get justice. Regan Zambri Long has won millions of dollars in settlements for clients who’ve experienced birth injuries and are entitled to legal compensation.
Our team includes a registered nurse and lawyers who teach attorneys and medical professionals about birth injury prevention. We consult with the United States’ leading medical experts to prepare our clients’ cases and help them prepare for the unique medical needs that arise from this serious medical condition. Our unique experience and track record means we know how to win these hard-fought cases.
Our Guarantee To You
- Our legal team has the strategy, skills, and experience. We’ve recovered millions of dollars for birth injury victims in Washington DC.
- We have the necessary resources to win justice, no matter the case.
- You don’t pay until your settlement is won.
Types of Cerebral Palsy Cases We Handle
There are many scenarios in which avoidable damage results in a lifelong cerebral palsy diagnosis in a child. This leads to significant challenges for the family. Regan Zambri Long helps families recover and plan for the best path forward.
Some common cases of cerebral palsy that we see in our practice include but are not limited to:
- Damage caused by improper use of forceps or vacuum extractors – These devices can cause damage to the baby’s head when used too forcefully or improperly and can also cause other neurological problems.
- Damage caused by oxygen deprivation (asphyxia) – This can occur during birth or shortly before and may be caused by untimely treatment of umbilical cord entrapment, fetal distress, blocked airways, untreated placental conditions, and more.
- Damage caused by severe jaundice – When not treated quickly enough, severe jaundice can turn to kernicterus. Kernicterus is brain damage that is a result of high bilirubin count, causing cerebral palsy and even loss of hearing.
- Complications during premature birth – When a baby is born too early due to an untreated condition in the mother or something else, the brain does not finish its normal development. Complications can happen during or after premature birth, causing CP.
- Complications due to maternal infections – When maternal infections are not properly diagnosed or treated, they can cause damage to the baby’s developing brain, including Cytomegalovirus (CMV), toxoplasmosis, sexually transmitted infections, and more.
Whether the damage or injury happened during pregnancy, labor, birth, or shortly after birth, there are many scenarios where cerebral palsy could have been avoided. If this is the case for you, let us help you get the compensation you are entitled to by law.
Frequently Asked Questions for Cerebral Palsy Cases
Filing a case for medical malpractice that results in cerebral palsy can be an exhausting process – from mental stress to financial burdens. Many parents and legal guardians considering such a case want to know how long it will take, and what to expect.
Q: How do I know if I have a cerebral palsy case?
A: There are many reasons a child may be born with birth injuries. If your child’s injuries are due to negligence on behalf of your medical team, then you may have a case. To prove a case, you will need:
- Medical records
- Documentation of treatments before, during, and after your baby’s delivery
- Results of scans, including EEG or CT scans
At the end of the day, every cerebral palsy birth injury case is different. Proving a medical team was at-fault can also be a long, arduous process. An experienced cerebral palsy lawyer will also have a team of medical experts they can consult to determine if the care you received resulted in your child’s birth injury.
Q: What steps do I need to take to file a claim for my child’s birth injury case?
A: If you believe your child’s cerebral palsy was the result of medical malpractice from your labor and delivery team, the only thing you need to do is find the right lawyer. From there, your DC birth injury lawyer will follow these general steps to prove your case:
- Interview client: You are the closest one to the details of your case. Your lawyer will interview you to determine the facts of your labor and delivery, and where malpractice could have occurred.
- Collect & review medical records: Keep track of medical records, always. They are crucial to have in any claim, including cerebral palsy birth injury cases. These records will be needed to prove your doctor did not provide the right standard of care.
- Consult medical experts: An experienced cerebral palsy lawyer in DC will have medical experts they can call on to further prove your case. These are professionals who know how to read the records and pinpoint what went wrong.
- File your cerebral palsy lawsuit: Your lawyer will know exactly what steps to take to successfully file your claim. From jurisdictional rules to statute of limitations and any pre-filing procedures, your lawyer will ensure you get the justice you deserve.
Q: How long will my case take?
A: No two cases are exactly the same, making it hard to predict the length of a cerebral palsy birth injury case in Washington, DC. It depends on the jurisdiction in which the case will be filed in, plus a host of other variables. At the end of the day, it could take years from start to finish for your case to be resolved. A cerebral palsy lawyer at Regan Zambri Long will be with you every step of the way.
Q: Will I have to present my cerebral palsy lawyer with all the research or does my lawyer do the work?
A: The parents and legal guardians of a child with cerebral palsy know the details surrounding the labor and delivery of the child, plus any medical care received before and during birth. However, once you give your lawyer the details of the case, he/she will be the one doing the research. They will use their experience in medical malpractice law to build their case. This includes consulting with medical experts, who will review the details and offer their professional opinion on if you and your child received the standard of care expected by your medical team.
Q: How can I choose the best birth injury lawyer in DC?
A: Cerebral palsy cases can be incredibly complicated to prove, so it’s critical that you are working with an experienced attorney.
- Parents and legal guardians should be sure their lawyer has experience in not just medical malpractice, but in this specific specialty.
- Ideally, this comes with a winning track record, ensuring your lawyer knows how to get what their clients deserve.
- You should not pay anything unless your lawyer wins you a settlement. This is called a contingent fee, and will ensure you have no added financial strain when filing your cerebral palsy case. Your lawyer fees will only be collected when you win, directly from the settlement you receive.
- Finally, you should make sure it’s someone you feel you could have a good client-lawyer relationship with.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Top Cerebral Palsy Attorney
Our Washington DC personal injury lawyers have recovered millions of dollars in compensation for our clients. Backed by more than 100 years of combined experience, our firm has an established reputation for pursuing legal excellence. As our client, you will enjoy peace of mind in knowing that your rights will be protected from start to finish. We will do everything in our power to secure the maximum compensation you need to pay for injury-related expenses, such as medical care and lost income, as well as full compensation for all of the physical and emotional consequences of your injuries.