Washington DC Catastrophic Injury Lawyer Explains Options for Compensation
Did an Accident Cause a Life-Changing Catastrophic Personal Injury?
Unlike many other types of trauma, catastrophic personal injuries cause permanent impairment, drastically altering your life. A brain or spinal cord injury, for example, can cause loss of motor function and/or personality changes. Additionally, catastrophic injuries may cause permanent disfigurement and psychological trauma. These effects may prevent you from working and may require rehabilitation services and expensive home modifications. Consequently, a catastrophic injury may cost millions of dollars over a lifetime. However, if someone else’s negligence caused your injury, then you may be able to recover compensation for your expenses and other damages through a personal injury lawsuit.
Catastrophic injuries can leave accident survivors and their family members with an uncertain future. At Regan Zambri Long PLLC, we work to help accident victims reclaim hope in their futures and ensure their quality of life for years to come. Sharing that commitment, our attorneys have recovered more than $350 million for accident survivors and their families. In one catastrophic injury case, our attorneys recovered more than $15 million for victims of an automobile crash. In another case, our lawyers obtained an $8 million settlement for a woman who suffered quadriplegia as a result of medical malpractice.
Our Recent Settlements
A $975,000 settlement in a product liability case resulting from a defectively designed bunk bed which caused the death of an infant.Read More
A $1.4 Million judgment entered for the widow of a police officer who was killed in the line of duty while assisting in a traffic accident.Read More
A settlement of $2.45 Million in a Maryland malpractice action for severe injuries suffered by a 69 year old patient during routine heart surgery.Read More
What Are the Most Common Types of Catastrophic Injuries?
Catastrophic injuries always cause permanent disabilities and/or psychological trauma. These types of injuries are truly life-altering, and many victims will require specialized care for the rest of their lives.
- Spinal cord injuries. According to statistics gathered by the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center (NSCISC), an estimated 17,000 Americans suffer spinal cord injuries each year. People with spinal cord injuries may have limited movement or suffer total paralysis, depending on the location and severity of their injuries.
- Traumatic brain injuries. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimate that 2.5 million Americans were treated in emergency rooms for traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) during 2013. Severe brain trauma may cause problems with cognition, memory, movement, speech, and behavior. Additionally, newborns who suffer brain trauma during delivery can suffer from cerebral palsy, a condition that may cause significant impairment.
- Burn injuries. According to the American Burn Association, burn injuries caused an estimated 40,000 hospitalizations in the U.S. during 2016. Severe third-degree burns may cause permanent disfigurement and psychological trauma. Furthermore, burn injuries may require accident survivors to undergo extensive therapy and costly medical treatments.
- Amputations. The CDC estimates that more than 500 Americans lose limbs each day. Amputation injuries may require accident survivors to make home modifications and use other medical equipment.
Spinal cord injuries are one of the most common types of catastrophic injury.
What are Common Causes of Catastrophic Injuries?
Catastrophic injuries often occur without warning and may result from virtually any type of accident. Some of the most common causes of catastrophic injuries include:
- Car and truck accidents. Motor vehicle crashes are a major cause of brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, burns, and amputations.
- Slips and fall accidents. According to the CDC, slip and falls are the leading cause of TBIs. In addition, an estimated 30.5 percent of spinal cord injury cases result from falls.
- Medical malpractice. Victims of medical negligence, such as surgical errors, medication mistakes, or misdiagnosis, may suffer from catastrophic injuries.
- Construction accidents. Construction workers can suffer multiple types of catastrophic injuries during work accidents. For example, falling from heights or being struck by objects can cause spinal cord injuries or TBIs. In other cases, workers can suffer burn injuries due to electrocution.
- Recreational activity accidents. Recreational activities such as contact sports, swimming, or lifting weights can cause catastrophic injuries. For example, many people have suffered spinal cord injuries and paralysis from swimming pool accidents.
- Defective products. Defective consumer products and medical devices can cause catastrophic injuries. For example, a defective seatbelt may fail during a car accident, causing a serious spinal cord injury.
Learn More in a Free Consultation with a Washington DC Catastrophic Injury Lawyer
Catastrophic injuries are financially and emotionally costly for individuals and their families. If you or a loved one suffered a catastrophic personal injury due to the negligence of others, then it is important to discuss legal options with an attorney. It may be possible to recover compensation that can help ease the burden caused by medical bills, rehabilitation, home modifications, lost income, and pain and suffering.
Regan Zambri Long, PPLC helps individuals with catastrophic injuries and their families in Washington D.C., Virginia, Maryland, and in other states. We can review your case and inform you of possible legal options at no cost. For a free consultation with one of our personal injury attorneys, please call (202) 463-3030 or describe your situation by filling out our online case review form.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Top DC Catastrophic Injury Attorney
Our Washington DC personal injury lawyers have recovered millions of dollars in compensation for our clients. Backed by more than 100 years of combined experience, our firm has an established reputation for pursuing legal excellence. As our client, you will enjoy peace of mind in knowing that your rights will be protected from start to finish. We will do everything in our power to secure the maximum compensation you need to pay for injury-related expenses, such as medical care and lost income, as well as full compensation for all of the physical and emotional consequences of your injuries.