A DC Injury Lawyer from Our Law Firm Can Represent Your WMATA Lawsuit
The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) operates over 1,500 buses that cover 325 routes in Washington DC, Maryland, and Virginia. Thousands of commuters rely on these buses and trust that they will provide safe riding between destinations.
However, too frequently driver error, poor maintenance, and other negligence cause bus accidents, which can result in devastating personal injuries for passengers as well as other motorists, pedestrians, and/or cyclists. Bus accident victims often require specialized care, including long-term physical and psychological treatment. Worse, claims against quasi-government agencies like WMATA can be notoriously complex.
The Washington, DC bus accident lawyers at Regan Zambri Long PLLC routinely take on claims against WMATA and other bus companies, and we have a history of success obtaining multimillion dollar settlements and verdicts on behalf of clients injured in bus accidents. For example, in one case we recovered a $3 million settlement on behalf of a client who sustained a serious leg injury after being struck by a WMATA/Metro bus.
In fact, Washingtonian Magazine called founding partner Pat Regan “the lawyer you call when you want to sue WMATA,” and Super Lawyers Magazine honored founding member Sal Zambri a “Culture Changer.”
Our Recent Settlements
A $975,000 settlement in a product liability case resulting from a defectively designed bunk bed which caused the death of an infant.Read More
A $1.4 Million judgment entered for the widow of a police officer who was killed in the line of duty while assisting in a traffic accident.Read More
A settlement of $2.45 Million in a Maryland malpractice action for severe injuries suffered by a 69 year old patient during routine heart surgery.Read More
What Are Common Bus Accident Injuries?
The personal injuries caused by a bus accident are typically extensive and serious. First, buses are much larger and heavier than typical vehicles. If a bus crashes into a car, for example, the car will likely sustain much more damage than the bus. The same is true of accidents involving pedestrians or cyclists. Second, bus passengers typically do not wear seatbelts and may stand, particularly if the bus is crowded. In the event of an impact, bus riders may fall or be thrown into seats, windows, or other passengers.
- Traumatic brain injuries. A crash, slip and fall, or any type of Metro accident can cause a severe concussion or traumatic brain injury. This can cause lifelong disabilities, including paralysis and cognitive impairment.
- Neck and spinal cord injuries. Motorists and bus passengers may suffer spinal cord damage in an accident. This may result in full or partial paralysis and usually requires extensive treatment.
- Disfigurement. Lacerations from an accident, especially injuries to the face, may cause permanent disfigurement.
- Muscle, nerve and tissue damage. Depending on the circumstances, deep lacerations, broken bones, and other injuries may permanently damage nerves, muscles, and tissue.
- Loss of limb. A Metro accident may cause or necessitate the amputation of one or more limbs. These injuries are severely disabling and may cause severe blood loss and/or wrongful death.
- Wrongful death. Bus accidents can be particularly deadly for pedestrians and cyclists. However, bus passengers and other motorists may also suffer fatal injuries in the event of a crash.
For over 30 years, the Washington, DC bus accident lawyers at Regan Zambri Long PLLC have been helping victims and their families recover compensation for injuries like these.
Have You Been In A Bus Accident? We Can Help
Who Is Liable for Bus Accidents?
Depending on the circumstances and the type of bus involved, several different parties may be liable for your bus accident injuries. In general, possible liable parties may include:
- WMATA or another government agency. If a DC Metrobus caused your accident, then you may be able to hold WMATA accountable for your injuries and damages. This is generally the case when driver error or lack of maintenance causes the wreck. Therefore, you should contact a bus accident lawyer as soon as possible after a Metrobus crash.
- School district. The school district is usually liable for accidents involving school buses, including those caused by driver negligence. A school district may be a government entity, so you may have an even shorter time in which to file a claim.
- Another motorist. In some cases, another motorist may cause a bus crash. In these cases, you may be able to collect compensation from that driver’s insurance policy, as well as other policies, even your own.
- Private bus company and/or driver. If the bus that caused the accident is owned by a private company, then that company’s insurance should cover your injuries and damages. For example, after a tour bus accident, you may be able to file a claim against the tour company and/or its insurer.
- Bus manufacturer. In some cases, the manufacturing company may be liable for a bus crash caused by defects in the vehicle components. More often, however, parts fail due to lack of maintenance.
Usually, bus accident victims do not know who caused the accident or what parties may be liable for the damages. A Washington, DC vehicle accident lawyer from our firm can investigate the incident, determine the cause, and find all liable parties.
Hurt in a Metrobus Crash? Contact a Bus Accident Lawyer from Our Law Firm Today
If you have been injured as a result of a bus or subway accident, then a Washington, DC bus accident lawyer from our firm can help you file a claim for compensation. We have over a century of collective legal experience, which we can apply to your case. This includes particular experience and success in filing claims against WMATA/Metrobus.
We serve clients throughout the Washington DC metropolitan area, including residents of Maryland, Virginia, and other states. Our law firm offers free initial consultations and contingency fee arrangements. Call (202) 463-3030 or contact us online today to discuss your legal options.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Top Bus Accident Attorney
Our Washington DC personal injury lawyers have recovered millions of dollars in compensation for our clients. Backed by more than 100 years of combined experience, our firm has an established reputation for pursuing legal excellence. As our client, you will enjoy peace of mind in knowing that your rights will be protected from start to finish. We will do everything in our power to secure the maximum compensation you need to pay for injury-related expenses, such as medical care and lost income, as well as full compensation for all of the physical and emotional consequences of your injuries.