Erb's Palsy Birth Injury Lawyer
Erb’s palsy is a form of brachial plexus injury and results from damage to the nerves that supply the muscles of the arm. Brachial plexus injuries can cause partial to complete paralysis of the shoulder, upper arm, elbow, forearm, wrist, hand or fingers. There are varying levels of severity of brachial plexus injury depending upon whether the affected nerve is actually detached from the spinal cord, ruptured, overstretched or compressed by scar tissue.
As Erb’s palsy lawyers in Washington, DC, Regan Zambri Long PLLC has over two decades of experience litigating these cases in the DC area. Many of these injuries are due to avoidable errors by the doctor or nurse-midwife who delivered the baby.
What Is a Brachial Plexus Injury?
An obstetrical brachial plexus injury occurs when damage to the nerves during the delivery of an infant. The majority of these birth injuries are the result of a birthing “emergency” called shoulder dystocia, which occurs when doctor fails to plan ahead for a safe delivery or fails to perform the proper moves to deliver the baby safely and the infant’s shoulder becomes stuck on the mother’s pelvic bone.
Our Recent Settlements
A $975,000 settlement in a product liability case resulting from a defectively designed bunk bed which caused the death of an infant.Read More
A $1.4 Million judgment entered for the widow of a police officer who was killed in the line of duty while assisting in a traffic accident.Read More
A settlement of $2.45 Million in a Maryland malpractice action for severe injuries suffered by a 69 year old patient during routine heart surgery.Read More
Treatment for a brachial plexus injury includes:
- Physical and occupational therapy
- Surgery, splinting, and casting
- Electrical stimulation
Assessment and treatment should be initiated as soon as possible. Typically, an infant suffering from an obstetrical brachial plexus injury begins physical or occupational therapy in the first few weeks of life. These children are usually referred to a specialist or a team of specialists that might include a neurologist, an orthopedic surgeon, a plastic surgeon or a neurosurgeon to further assess the injury using a variety of tests and to implement effective treatment.
Not Sure If You Can File an Erb’s Palsy Lawsuit? We Can Help
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Top Erb’s Palsy Lawyer
Erb’s palsy and other brachial plexus injuries frequently result from medical errors or carelessness by others. These children can require extensive care and may have permanent injuries. If your child has a brachial plexus injury, please feel free to contact Regan Zambri Long, Erb’s palsy lawyers in Washington, DC.
Consultations and investigations are free to the patient’s family. Our Washington DC birth injury lawyers may be able to help you get answers and resources.For high-quality legal representation, call us today.
Common Causes of Erb's Palsy
Regan Zambri Long helps families claim compensation for Erb’s palsy and other brachial plexus injuries resulting from medical malpractice. Often, these injuries were preventable but medical practitioners failed to meet the standard duty of care. Some of the main causes of Erb’s palsy and brachial plexus injuries that we see at our firm include:
● Shoulder dystocia – When a doctor fails to plan ahead for safe delivery or fails to perform the proper moves to deliver the baby safely, resulting in the infant’s shoulder becoming stuck on the mother’s pelvic bone.
● Improper use of vacuum extraction or forceps – Improper use of birthing tools like vacuum extractor or forceps can cause damage to the baby’s head and brachial plexus nerves.
● Other labor/delivery complications – Caused by induced labor, the second stage of labor lasting more than one hour, an infant’s head and shoulders stretching or pulling during delivery, and more.
Whatever the case may be for you and your child, you can trust our team of respected DC medical malpractice lawyers to lead you through the process of recovering compensation for the medical malpractice that caused your child’s condition. You never pay out of pocket – only as a contingency of a winning settlement.
How Can Birth Injury Lawyers at Regan Zambri Long Help With My Erb's Palsy Case?
Erb’s palsy and other brachial plexus injuries often result from medical malpractice or carelessness by medical professionals. Our team of Erb’s palsy lawyers in Washington, DC have the expertise you need. We will go above and beyond to build your case and help you prove the medical negligence that caused your child’s Erb’s palsy or brachial plexus palsy condition.
Regan Zambri Long has an established reputation in the Washington DC, Maryland, and Virginia area. We are an experienced, trusted partner, that has recovered hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation for our medical malpractice clients. We do everything in our power to win the maximum compensation you are entitled to and ensure you get the justice you deserve.
Meet with a top medical malpractice lawyer in DC at Regan Zambri Long today to find out if a legal claim is the right path for you. There is no cost or obligation for this free consultation. We will review the details of your case, and help you find out how to get started claiming compensation for your losses. Call 202-960-4596 today, or get in touch with us online.
Our Guarantee To You
1. We will help you discover the best way forward with your brachial plexus injury case.
2. We have won millions of dollars for local clients in medical malpractice and birth injury cases.
3. We’re trusted medical malpractice lawyers in Washington DC and the surrounding areas.
4. You only pay when we win your settlement.
Frequently Asked Questions in an Erb's Palsy Birth Injury Case
Filing a case for medical malpractice that results in Erb’s Palsy/Brachial Plexus Injury can be a long, exhausting process. That from mental stress to financial burdens. Many parents and legal guardians considering such a case want to know how long it will take, and what to expect.
Q: How do I know if I have a cerebral palsy case?
A: If you believe your child’s Erb’s Palsy/Brachial Plexus injury are due to negligence on behalf of your medical team, then you may have a case. Consult with a lawyer, who can help walk you through what you will need to prove a case. This list includes, but is not limited to:
- All of your pertinent medical records
- Extensive documentation of treatments before, during, and after your baby’s delivery
- Results of any medical procedures or scans
Every Erb’s Palsy/Brachial Plexus birth injury case is different. But they all have one thing in common: Proving your medical team was at-fault can be a long, strenuous process. An experienced birth injury lawyer will use medical experts and other resources to determine if the care you received resulted in your child’s birth injury.
Q: How do I file a claim for my child’s Erb’s Palsy/Brachial Plexus birth injury case?
A: If you believe your child’s Erb’s palsy or Brachial Plexus birth injury was due to medical malpractice from your medical care team, the most important thing you need to do is find the right birth injury lawyer. From there, your Erb’s palsy lawyer in DC will follow these steps to make your case:
- Interview their client: Starting from the beginning, they will interview you to determine the facts of your case. You are the closest one to the details of the care you received, your child’s injury, and the pain and suffering you have experienced. Once your lawyer has all the facts, they will know how to determine where malpractice could have occurred.
- Collect & review medical records: After interivewing you, your lawyer will want to go through all of your medical records and any other documentation. These will be critical to setting up your case and determining if the standard of care you received was poor.
- Consult medical experts: Aside from their own experience and expertise, a Erb’s palsy lawyer in DC will also come with a network of people like medical experts who they can call on to further prove your case.
- File your Erb’s palsy/Brachial Plexus injury case: Your lawyer will know exactly what steps to take to successfully file your claim. From jurisdictional rules to statute of limitations and any pre-filing procedures, your lawyer will ensure you get the justice you deserve.
Q: How long will it take to win my Erb’s palsy/Brachial Plexus case?
A: The length of your brain injury case depends on a variety of factors. From jurisdiction to statute of limitations, the details of the injury, and more, it’s hard to predict. Realistically, due to the level of detail required to prove medical malpractice in birth injury cases, it could take years from start to finish for your case to be resolved. An expert medical malpractice lawyer at Regan Zambri Long will be with you every step of the way, no matter how long it takes.
Q: What does an Erb’s palsy/Brachial Plexus birth injury lawyer in DC do for my case?
A: Even if you feel medical malpractice caused your child’s Erb’s palsy or other birth injury, you have to prove it to win a settlement. This process takes time, care, and experience. Once you give your lawyer the basic facts and details of your experience, they will start building your case. This includes extensive research and interviews as needed, using their medical malpractice experience and track record to build your case.
Hiring a birth injury lawyer means you don’t just receive the best legal representation. It also means your case will be aided by medical experts, who will review the details and offer their professional opinion on if you and your child received the standard of care expected by your medical team. This can be crucial to proving you are owed compensation.
Q: When looking for a birth injury lawyer in DC, what should I be looking for?
A: Erb’s palsy and other birth injury cases can be nuanced, complicated cases to prove. It’s critical you are working with an experienced medical malpractice attorney. Here are just some of the things you should be looking for when looking for a birth injury lawyer in DC:
- Ensure your lawyer has experience in not just medical malpractice, but in specific Erb’s palsy/Brachial plexus birth injury specialty.
- Choose a lawyer who has a winning record. Decades of experience and large settlement wins for their clients means you have someone who has the right strategies and know-how to get you what you deserve.
- Don’t pay anything unless your lawyer wins you a settlement. This is called a contingent fee, and will ensure you don’t add to any current financial strain. At Regan Zambri Long, we only collect a fee when we win you a settlement.