From car accidents to falls on icy sidewalks, a variety of hazards seem poised to strike the moment you leave your home. In reality, however, the indoors can be just as risky. Often, the greatest problems of staying inside aren’t evident until it’s too late. Time spent inside can increase the potential for suffering the following issues:
Tripping and Falling
Uneven flooring, unorganized cords, and a variety of other indoor issues can increase your likelihood of tripping. Falling is also common in homes with steep staircases. Unexpected falls are responsible for many serious injuries, including broken bones, sprains, and concussions.
Radon or Lead Exposure
Beyond the acute injuries outlined above, the indoors can pose numerous exposure-related risks that increase the potential for developing a variety of alarming diseases and conditions. These vary significantly from one structure to the next but tend to be more prevalent when spending significant amounts of time in older buildings.
Lead buildup can occur over a series of months or years, with high levels linked to developmental delays in children, as well as constipation, vomiting, and seizures. Radon damage is even more of a long-term issue, often leading to lung cancer after several years or decades of exposure.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Odorless and colorless, carbon monoxide is notoriously difficult for the average person to detect without a dedicated device. Exposure can increase when you spend more time inside, as seemingly harmless activities such as operating gas stoves or generators are common sources of carbon monoxide buildup. Low levels of carbon monoxide can cause headaches, while higher levels result in nausea, vomiting, or even death.
Practice common sense safety guidelines to minimize the potential hazards in your home.