Many families will soon hit the road for one last summer trip or vacation, but many will overlook one of the most important safety considerations of all, according to the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) — the condition of their vehicle’s tires. Proper tire condition (including proper inflation) can improve your vacation in the following ways:
- “Improves vehicle handling
- Helps protect you and others from avoidable break-downs and accidents
- Improves fuel economy
- Increases the life of your tires”
Among other tire maintenance recommendations, the organization urges drivers to check tire pressures at least once a month, for the following reasons:
- “Most tires may naturally lose air over time.
- Tires can lose air suddenly if you drive over a pothole or other object or if you strike the curb when parking.
- With radial tires, it is usually not possible to determine under inflation by visual inspection.”
Previously on the D.C. Metro Area Personal Injury Law Blog, we have posted articles related to:
- Dangerous Chinese tires sold in Virginia are being recalled
- Considerations for safe summer road tripping
- AAA tips for Car Care Month
If you or a family member believe that you have a case involving an automobile accident or defective product, please contact us on-line at Regan Zambri & Long or call us at (202) 463-3030 for a free consultation. If you would like to receive our complimentary electronic newsletter, please click here.