Car Insurance Requirements in the DC Metro Area

car insurance requirementsIf you have spent time in the District of Columbia, it doesn’t take you long to learn that most of the people who work in the city don’t actually live there. Commuters travel freely between DC, Virginia, and Maryland, all of which have different car insurance requirements. When you have a car accident in DC, you may be dealing with any one of these laws.

District of Columbia Insurance Requirements

If you have a car accident in DC, the insurance coverage that you have will pay for your damages, and the other driver’s coverage will pay his damages. This is because DC is a no-fault district. If you or your insurance company want compensation for those damages, you will have to file a personal injury lawsuit.

If you live in DC, you are legally required to have a minimum amount of car insurance. Your coverage must include:

  • $10,000 property damage liability;
  • $25,000 per person and $50,000 per incident third party liability and uninsured motorist bodily injury; and
  • $5,000 Uninsured motorist property damage (subject to $500 deductible).

If the person responsible for your car accident in DC is not a DC resident, he or she may not have this level of coverage.

Virginia and Maryland Insurance Requirements

The state of Maryland also has minimum car insurance requirements, but these are slightly higher coverage amounts than in DC. As a result, accidents between DC and Maryland residents may be more straightforward. Virginia drivers may or may not be insured at all. For a $500 fee, Virginia drivers can remain uninsured. 

If the person that is responsible for your car accident is an uninsured Virginia resident, obtaining compensation can be very complex. You should have experienced legal representation that understands the nuances of car accidents in the DC Metro Area. Contact us today for your free consultation.