Advances in car technology are leading to a dangerous trend in the name of vehicle innovation – smart, advanced car dashboards. These dashboards have multiple features that can easily distract a driver, such as cameras, hands-free phone capabilities, and GPS. How dangerous are these gadgets and what are their consequences?
What Are Advanced Car Dashboards?
Car companies are competing to produce the most advanced, high-tech, and innovative vehicle on the market. However, can this competition go too far? Many vehicles have advanced dashboards to improve the driver experience and add additional impressive features to the car.
Some of these dashboards include functions such as:
- GPS and navigation systems
- Rear-facing cameras when pulling out of a parking space
- Hands-free phone capabilities
- Hands-free text message capabilities
- Hands-free social media capabilities
However, these features can be dangerous and take a driver’s eyes off the road. Distracted driving is the cause of many accidents on the road.
The Dangers of Distracted Driving
According to the Centers for Disease Control, distracted driving can be just as dangerous, if not more dangerous, than driving while impaired.
- Each day in the United States, nine people die as a result of distracted driving.
- One thousand people suffer injuries in distracted driving crashes each day.
- Reading a text (or information on an advanced dashboard) can take a driver’s eyes off the road for approximately 5 seconds. While driving at 55 miles per hour, this is the equivalent of driving the entire length of a football field blindfolded.
Advanced dashboards can lead to significant injuries and even death. However, they do not have strict regulation yet. Keep yourself safe on the road and use your advanced dashboard sparingly.
Has an advanced car dashboard led to your injuries in a car accident? You could collect compensation for medical expenses, property damage, and more. Contact Regan Zambri Long today to schedule your free consultation at our DC offices.