Injuries to a baby can occur at any stage of pregnancy, even during labor and delivery or just after birth. While some of injuries cannot be prevented, many tragically happen due to avoidable medical errors.
These errors can cause devastating injuries to a child, cerebral palsy and brachial plexus injuries, such as Erb's palsy, intra-abdominal injuries, and musculoskeletal injuries. These tragic preventable errors can devastate families and result in the need for enormous resources for the lifetime, round-the-clock care these children require.
Birth injury cases involve complex medical and legal issues. The personal injury attorneys in Washington, DC at Regan Zambri Long PLLC have decades of experience and expertise. We have the resources necessary to successfully handle these cases and achieve outstanding results for families and their injured children.
Call (202) 463-3030 today to schedule a free initial consultation with a Washington, DC birth injury lawyer.
Our Recent Settlements
A $975,000 settlement in a product liability case resulting from a defectively designed bunk bed which caused the death of an infant.Read More
A $1.4 Million judgment entered for the widow of a police officer who was killed in the line of duty while assisting in a traffic accident.Read More
A settlement of $2.45 Million in a Maryland malpractice action for severe injuries suffered by a 69 year old patient during routine heart surgery.Read More
Why Hire Our Firm to Represent You?
Our legal team includes a registered nurse and other lawyers who teach attorneys and medical professionals about birth injury prevention. We regularly consult with the leading medical experts in the country to not only prepare the case but help our client prepare for the future medical needs of their children.
One example of a recent case involved a birth injury at a local hospital where the child suffered severe brain damage and cerebral palsy because of the careless acts of the doctors and nurses. The $4.1 million dollar settlement allowed the family to care for their child at home with a special bed and various visiting health care providers. This was critical for this family since they had many other children and both parents worked round the clock to meet the needs of the family before this tragic outcome. The case resulted in the hospital changing safety rules regarding lab reporting and also requiring the doctors who take care of premature babies to have more training.
We recognize that families who have children with developmental and physical disabilities face extraordinary and unique challenges every day. We investigate and pursue birth injury and medical malpractice cases. However, our Washington, DC birth injury lawyers can also assist families in formulating care plans for their children and providing useful information regarding resources and professional services in the DC metro community.
Has Your Child Suffered From A Birth Injury? We Can Help
Common Errors Leading to Birth Injuries
Some common errors involve:
1. The effective and improper resuscitation of a newborn.
2. Misuse of Pitocin (a synthetic hormone) to induce or speed up labor.
2. The unsafe use of vacuum extraction or forceps during delivery.
- Order or delaying order of cesarean section (c-section)
- Note and treat signs of oxygen deprivation in the fetus
- Permitting prolonged delay between the rupture of membranes and delivery
- Properly guard against, identify or treat infection
- Diagnose and/or treat placenta previa or placental abruption
- Stop preterm labor with labor-arresting medications
- Properly monitor a pregnancy, including monitoring the health of the woman and the baby
- Order proper care for a woman and baby with a high-risk pregnancy
- Properly order, read or analyze prenatal tests
- Diagnose and/or treat premature rupture of the membranes
- Monitor and prepare to deliver a larger or premature baby
- Anticipate and treat complications in the mother
- Respond appropriately to bleeding
- Timely treat umbilical cord entrapment
- Monitor and treat fetal distress
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Top Birth Accident Attorney
Our Washington DC personal injury lawyers have recovered millions of dollars in compensation for our clients. Backed by more than 100 years of combined experience, our firm has an established reputation for pursuing legal excellence. As our client, you will enjoy peace of mind in knowing that your rights will be protected from start to finish. We will do everything in our power to secure the maximum compensation you need to pay for injury-related expenses, such as medical care and lost income, as well as full compensation for all of the physical and emotional consequences of your injuries.