Injuries to a baby can occur at any stage of pregnancy, even during labor and delivery or just after birth. While some of injuries cannot be prevented, many tragically happen due to avoidable medical errors.
These errors can cause devastating injuries to a child, cerebral palsy and brachial plexus injuries, such as Erb’s palsy, intra-abdominal injuries, and musculoskeletal injuries. These tragic preventable errors can devastate families and result in the need for enormous resources for the lifetime, round-the-clock care these children require.
Birth injury cases involve complex medical and legal issues. The personal injury attorneys in Washington, DC at Regan Zambri Long PLLC have decades of experience and expertise. We have the resources necessary to successfully handle these cases and achieve outstanding results for families and their injured children.
Call (202) 463-3030 today to schedule a free initial consultation with a Washington, DC birth injury lawyer.
Our Recent Settlements
A $975,000 settlement in a product liability case resulting from a defectively designed bunk bed which caused the death of an infant.Read More
A $1.4 Million judgment entered for the widow of a police officer who was killed in the line of duty while assisting in a traffic accident.Read More
A settlement of $2.45 Million in a Maryland malpractice action for severe injuries suffered by a 69 year old patient during routine heart surgery.Read More
Why Hire Our Firm to Represent You?
Our legal team includes a registered nurse and other lawyers who teach attorneys and medical professionals about birth injury prevention. We regularly consult with the leading medical experts in the country to not only prepare the case but help our client prepare for the future medical needs of their children.
One example of a recent case involved a birth injury at a local hospital where the child suffered severe brain damage and cerebral palsy because of the careless acts of the doctors and nurses. The $4.1 million dollar settlement allowed the family to care for their child at home with a special bed and various visiting health care providers. This was critical for this family since they had many other children and both parents worked round the clock to meet the needs of the family before this tragic outcome. The case resulted in the hospital changing safety rules regarding lab reporting and also requiring the doctors who take care of premature babies to have more training.
We recognize that families who have children with developmental and physical disabilities face extraordinary and unique challenges every day. We investigate and pursue birth injury and medical malpractice cases. However, our Washington, DC birth injury lawyers can also assist families in formulating care plans for their children and providing useful information regarding resources and professional services in the DC metro community.
Has Your Child Suffered From A Birth Injury? We Can Help
Common Errors Leading to Birth Injuries
Some common errors involve:
1. The effective and improper resuscitation of a newborn.
2. Misuse of Pitocin (a synthetic hormone) to induce or speed up labor.
3. The unsafe use of vacuum extraction or forceps during delivery.
- Order or delaying order of cesarean section (c-section)
- Note and treat signs of oxygen deprivation in the fetus
- Permitting prolonged delay between the rupture of membranes and delivery
- Properly guard against, identify or treat infection
- Diagnose and/or treat placenta previa or placental abruption
- Stop preterm labor with labor-arresting medications
- Properly monitor a pregnancy, including monitoring the health of the woman and the baby
- Order proper care for a woman and baby with a high-risk pregnancy
- Properly order, read or analyze prenatal tests
- Diagnose and/or treat premature rupture of the membranes
- Monitor and prepare to deliver a larger or premature baby
- Anticipate and treat complications in the mother
- Respond appropriately to bleeding
- Timely treat umbilical cord entrapment
- Monitor and treat fetal distress
How a Birth Injury Lawyer at Regan Zambri Long Can Help Your Case
The Regan Zambri Long birth injury team includes a registered nurse and lawyers who teach attorneys and medical professionals about birth injury prevention. We regularly consult with the country’s leading medical experts to not only prepare our clients’ cases, but to also help our clients prepare for the future medical needs of their children.
We’ve investigated and pursued birth injury and medical malpractice cases successfully for decades and have achieved outstanding results for families and their injured children. We have the resources necessary to successfully handle these complex medical and legal cases. Check out some of our birth injury case results.
We recognize that families who have children with developmental and physical disabilities face extraordinary and unique challenges every day. Our attorneys are experienced in assisting families with formulating care plans for their children. We provide useful information regarding resources and professional services in the DC metro community.
Our Birth Injury Lawyers’ Guarantee to You
- We will support you and your family every step of the process.
- We have decades of experience and expertise in birth injury law and the resources to handle your case successfully.
- We’ve helped recover millions of dollars for birth injury victims.
- You will have confidence in your legal path forward with our help.
Types of Birth Injuries
Many different birth injuries can happen throughout pregnancy, labor, birth, and shortly after birth. Birth injuries typically cause the most devastating, long-term results to the unborn or newborn baby, but the mother can also be severely injured.
Some of the most common birth injuries that spur legal action include but are not limited to:
- Cerebral palsy – Caused by damage to the baby’s developing brain, either in pregnancy, during birth, or right after the baby is born. May happen due to a decrease in blood and oxygen to the brain, loss of the brain’s tissue or white matter, or brain bleeding.
- Brachial plexus injury, such as Erb’s palsy – When there has been damage to the brachial plexus (upper) nerves, resulting in lack of movement or paralysis in the arm, shoulder, wrist, and/or hand.
- Other serious infant injuries – Broken bones, head injuries, spinal injuries, and more.
- Maternal injuries – Includes improper stitching after a C-section or an episiotomy, uterine rupture, failure to treat infection, improper treatment, delayed diagnosis or misdiagnosis, negative reactions to an epidural or anesthesia, and more.
A Recent $4.1 Million Successful Birth Injury Case
One example of a recent Regan Zambri Long birth injury case involved a birth injury at a local hospital where the child suffered severe brain damage and cerebral palsy because of the careless acts of the doctors and nurses.
The $4.1 million settlement allowed the family to care for their child at home with a special bed and various visiting health care providers. This was critical for this family since they had many other children and both parents worked around the clock to meet the needs of the family before this tragic outcome.
The case resulted in the hospital changing safety rules regarding lab reporting and also requiring the doctors who take care of premature babies to have more training.
Frequently Asked Questions in Birth Injury Cases
When you determine your child has experienced an injury at birth, it is a traumatizing experience for the whole family. Sadly, it’s also one that takes a lot of time and resources to resolve. An experienced medical malpractice lawyer at Regan Zambri Long will help you navigate the process from start to finish, and ensure you get the justice you deserve.
Q: How do I know if I even have a birth injury malpractice case?
A: There are many reasons a child may be born with birth injuries, both naturally and due to malpractice. If you believe your child’s injuries are due to negligence on behalf of your medical practitioner, then you should review your case with a birth injury attorney. To help you and your lawyer prove your case, you will need:
- Thorough & detailed medical records. Save everything.
- Complete documentation of treatments before, during, and after your baby’s delivery
- Results of any scans performed on your child, including but not limited to: EEG or CT scans
Every birth injury case is different. Proving your child’s birth injury was the fault of your medical team can also be a long, exhausting process. An experienced cerebral palsy lawyer will do the work for you, utilizing strategies, medical professionals, and other resources to fight your case.
Q: How do I file a claim for my child’s birth injury case?
A: The first thing you need to do is find the right lawyer. From there, your DC birth injury lawyer will follow these general steps to prove your case:
- Interview their client: Initially, you are the closest one to the details of your case, so your lawyer will start with interviewing you to determine the facts of your labor and delivery. From there, they will review documents and other materials to see where malpractice could have occurred.
- Collect & review medical records: Thorough, detailed medical records are crucial to have in any claim, including cerebral palsy birth injury cases. It’s critical you always save all medical records you obtain from your doctor’s office. These records will help to prove your doctor failed to provide the proper standard of care during your labor and delivery.
- Consult medical experts: An experienced birth injury lawyer in DC will have medical experts to consult with to further prove your case. These people include professionals who know how to read the records and pinpoint what went wrong. They can also help you determine and quantify what future care for your child will look like. This helps to ensure your settlement properly covers pain and suffering and beyond for your child and your family.
- File your cerebral palsy lawsuit: Your DC birth injury lawyer will follow all the standard steps to file your claim. This includes jurisdictional rules to statute of limitations and any pre-filing procedures.
Q: How long will my birth injury case take?
A: No one can estimate this without knowing the intricacies of your case. No two birth injury cases are the same. The timeline of a birth injury case in Washington, DC depends on the jurisdiction in which the case will be filed in, the statute of limitations, how well documented medical care was, plus a host of other variables. At the end of the day, it could take years from start to finish for your case to be resolved. A cerebral palsy lawyer at Regan Zambri Long will be with you every step of the way, guiding you through the process.
Q: How do I choose the best Washington DC birth injury lawyer for my case?
A: All types of birth injury cases can be incredibly complicated to prove. Many birth injuries can happen naturally, without any negligence, so you have to prove it was specifically caused by the actions of your doctors. To prove this, it is critical that you are working with an experienced attorney. What you should look for:
- A lawyer with experience in not just medical malpractice, but with birth injury as a specialty.
- A birth injury lawyer with a winning track record, ensuring they have the knowledge and expertise to get what their clients deserve.
- A lawyer who works on a contingent fee basis. This means they only get paid if they win you a settlement. Raising a child with a brain injury can already cause financial stress, so a contingent fee ensures you have no added strain when filing your birth injury case. Fees for your legal representation will only be collected when you win; paid directly from the settlement you receive.
- A lawyer you feel comfortable with. You will spend a great deal of time working with your birth injury lawyer, making a good client-lawyer relationship a priority.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Top Birth Accident Attorney
Our Washington DC personal injury lawyers have recovered millions of dollars in compensation for our clients. Backed by more than 100 years of combined experience, our firm has an established reputation for pursuing legal excellence. As our client, you will enjoy peace of mind in knowing that your rights will be protected from start to finish. We will do everything in our power to secure the maximum compensation you need to pay for injury-related expenses, such as medical care and lost income, as well as full compensation for all of the physical and emotional consequences of your injuries.