The number of cars hitting deer remains a problem. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety estimates that there are more than 1.5 million crashes due to deer collisions each year, resulting in 150 occupant deaths and more than 1 billion dollars in vehicle damage.
According to The Highway Safety Research Center, there are a few tips you can follow to help prevent and/or safely manage deer collisions:
- Slow down
- Always wear your seat belt
- Use lights to watch for eyes reflecting in your headlights
- Be aware that deer travel in herds – if you see one, there are probably more
- Do not rely heavily on “deer whistles”
- Avoid swerving and maintain control of your vehicle