The U.S. Product Safety Commission (CPSC) reminds parents to take precautions for keeping their children safe as they return to school. In a recent press release, CPSC advocates that parents prepare to keep their children in the classroom instead of the hospital emergency room.
Some specific guidelines include:
- Remove drawstrings from children’s outer clothing.
- Wear the right helmet for sports. CPSC’s publication “Which Helmet for Which Activity” provides useful information.
- Practice playground safety. CPSC’s Handbook for Public Playground Safety offers further guidelines.
- Make certain that soccer goals are securely anchored when in use, never allow children to climb on them and anchor them securely when not in use.
- Only buy art suplies that contain the statement, “CONFORMS to ASTM D-4236.”
Children frequently act without thinking first, particularly in a playground or school setting. Parents need to constantly emphasize “Safety First” to their children.