Washington DC Birth Injury Lawyers
Injuries to a baby can occur at any stage of pregnancy, during labor and delivery or just after birth. While some of injuries cannot be prevented, many are tragically due to avoidable medical errors.
These errors can cause devastating injuries to a child and can include cerebral palsy, brachial plexus injuries such as Erb’s palsy, intra-abdominal injuries, and musculoskeletal injuries. These tragic preventable errors are devastating to the family as well and result in the need for enormous resources for the life time of round the clock care these children need.
Complex medical and legal issues are involved in birth injury cases. Our Washington DC personal injury attorneys at Regan Zambri Long PLLC have decades of experience and expertise, and we have the resources necessary to successfully handle these cases and achieve outstanding results for families and their injured children.
Why Hire Our Firm to Represent You?
Our legal team includes a registered nurse who practiced labor and delivery, another attorney who was a hospital risk manager who worked closely to identify and prevent these types of tragic preventable errors, and other lawyers who teach attorneys and medical professionals about birth injury prevention. We regularly consult with the leading medical experts in the country to not only prepare the case but help our client prepare for the future medical needs of their children.
One example of a recent case, involved a birth injury at a local hospital where the child suffered severe brain damage and cerebral palsy because of the careless acts of the doctors and nurses. The $4.1 million dollar settlement allowed the family to care for their child at home with a special bed and various visiting health care providers. This was critical for this family since they had many other children and both parents worked round the clock to meet the needs of the family before this tragic outcome. The case resulted in the hospital changing safety rules regarding lab reporting and also requiring the doctors who take care of premature babies to have more training.
We recognize that families who have children with developmental and physical disabilities are faced with extraordinary and unique challenges every day. In addition to investigating and pursuing birth injury and medical malpractice cases, our attorneys can assist families in formulating care plans for their children and provide useful information regarding resources and professional services in the DC metro community.
Common Errors Leading to Birth Injuries
Here are some examples of avoidable errors that can cause birth injuries:
- Failure to order or delaying order of cesarean section (c-section)
- Failure to note and treat signs of oxygen deprivation in the fetus
- Ineffective and improper resuscitation of a newborn
- Misuse of Pitocin (a synthetic hormone) used to induce or speed up labor
- Permitting prolonged delay between the rupture of membranes and delivery
- Failure to properly guard against, identify or treat infection
- Unsafe use of vacuum extraction or forceps during delivery
- Failure to diagnose and/or treat placenta previa or placental abruption
- Failure to stop preterm labor with labor-arresting medications
- Failure to properly monitor a pregnancy, including monitoring the health of the woman and the baby
- Failure to order proper care for a woman and baby with a high-risk pregnancy
- Failure to properly order, read or analyze prenatal tests
- Failure to diagnose and/or treat premature rupture of the membranes
- Failure to monitor and prepare to deliver a larger baby
- Failure to monitor and prepare to deliver a premature baby
- Failure to anticipate and treat complications in the mother
- Failure to respond appropriately to bleeding
- Failure to timely treat umbilical cord entrapment
- Failure to monitor and treat fetal distress