Washington DC Birth Injury Lawyers
Injuries to a baby can occur at any stage of pregnancy, during labor and
delivery or just after birth. While some of injuries cannot be prevented,
many are tragically due to avoidable medical errors.
These errors can cause devastating injuries to a child and can include
cerebral palsy, brachial plexus injuries such as
Erb's palsy, intra-abdominal injuries, and musculoskeletal injuries. These tragic
preventable errors are devastating to the family as well and result in
the need for enormous resources for the life time of round the clock care
these children need.
Complex medical and legal issues are involved in birth injury cases. Our
Washington DC personal injury attorneys at Regan Zambri Long, PLLC have
decades of experience and expertise, and we have the resources necessary
to successfully handle these cases and achieve outstanding results for
families and their injured children.
Call (202) 759-6699 today to schedule a free initial consultation.
Why Hire Our Firm to Represent You?
Our legal team includes a registered nurse who practiced labor and delivery,
another attorney who was a hospital risk manager who worked closely to
identify and prevent these types of tragic preventable errors, and other
lawyers who teach attorneys and medical professionals about birth injury
prevention. We regularly consult with the leading medical experts in the
country to not only prepare the case but help our client prepare for the
future medical needs of their children.
One example of a recent case, involved a birth injury at a local hospital
where the child suffered severe brain damage and cerebral palsy because
of the careless acts of the doctors and nurses. The $4.1 million dollar
settlement allowed the family to care for their child at home with a special
bed and various visiting health care providers. This was critical for
this family since they had many other children and both parents worked
round the clock to meet the needs of the family before this tragic outcome.
The case resulted in the hospital changing safety rules regarding lab
reporting and also requiring the doctors who take care of premature babies
to have more training.
We recognize that families who have children with developmental and physical
disabilities are faced with extraordinary and unique challenges every
day. In addition to investigating and pursuing birth injury and
medical malpractice cases, our attorneys can assist families in formulating care plans for
their children and provide useful information regarding resources and
professional services in the DC metro community.
Common Errors Leading to Birth Injuries
Here are some examples of avoidable errors that can cause birth injuries:
- Failure to order or delaying order of cesarean section (c-section)
- Failure to note and treat signs of oxygen deprivation in the fetus
- Ineffective and improper resuscitation of a newborn
- Misuse of Pitocin (a synthetic hormone) used to induce or speed up labor
- Permitting prolonged delay between the rupture of membranes and delivery
- Failure to properly guard against, identify or treat infection
- Unsafe use of vacuum extraction or forceps during delivery
- Failure to diagnose and/or treat placenta previa or placental abruption
- Failure to stop preterm labor with labor-arresting medications
- Failure to properly monitor a pregnancy, including monitoring the health
of the woman and the baby
- Failure to order proper care for a woman and baby with a high-risk pregnancy
- Failure to properly order, read or analyze prenatal tests
- Failure to diagnose and/or treat premature rupture of the membranes
- Failure to monitor and prepare to deliver a larger baby
- Failure to monitor and prepare to deliver a premature baby
- Failure to anticipate and treat complications in the mother
- Failure to respond appropriately to bleeding
- Failure to timely treat umbilical cord entrapment
- Failure to monitor and treat fetal distress
If a child in your family has suffered a birth injury please contact us.
We will promptly evaluate your child's condition and thoroughly investigate
whether the injury was caused by an avoidable medical error at no cost to you.
Contact our caring law firm today for guidance.