Recall Safety Part 2: How Can I Check for Recalled Children's Products?

Posted By Regan Zambri Long, PLLC || 4-Jan-2018

Each year, thousands of consumer products are recalled in the US. Some of these recalls include products that were made for children. Several recalls are currently underway for children’s pajama products that were sold in the US. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), certain pajama products sold by One Stop Shop and Woolino do not meet federal flammability safety standards. Children wearing these products could be severely burned or even killed. Additional recalls have been issued for toys, electronics and furniture products. Fortunately, parents have some options for staying abreast on the most recent recalls.

The CPSC’s website contains a constantly-updated list of recalled products. However, you could also search for specific items. Simply enter the product or manufacturer name to see if your child’s product has recently been recalled. You could also sign up for email alerts on the CPSC’s website. Enter your email and click the “recalls involving infants/child products” box. At the end of each day, the website will automatically send you recall notices (if there were any for that day).

You could also check the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) website for recalls on child car seats. NHTSA’s website lets you search for specific manufacturers. Recalls within the past ten years should be listed.

What Should I Do If I Own a Recalled Children’s Product?

Retailers may offer refunds for recalled products. However, they could also send you repair kits or offer to make free repairs. Some products should simply be removed from your residence. Never allow your child to continue using an unsafe product.

If your child is severely injured by a defective product, then you should speak with an attorney. Damages from a lawsuit could help pay for some of the expenses associated with your child’s injury. The Washington DC product liability lawyers at Regan Zambri Long PLLC could help you explore possible options for pursing damages against the manufacturer or other parties.

Blog Home