If you use a wire grill brush, you may want to stick around and continue
reading today’s blog. Bristles on these products can break off during
cleaning and become stuck to your grill’s surface. The next time
you fire up your grill to make food, you or others could accidently ingest
these bristles. After being eaten, these bristles can become imbedded
in the mouth or throat. In the worst-case scenario, bristles can pierce
internal organs, such as the stomach, liver, bladder or intestines.
According to a study conducted by the University of Missouri School of
Medicine, 130 people in the U.S. seek emergency treatment for injuries
caused by grill brush bristles each year. This number only accounts for
treatment in emergency rooms, meaning people who were treated in urgent
care clinics were not included in the study. It is also more difficult
for doctors to diagnose injuries caused by grill brush bristles, as they
are too small to appear on X-rays.
In some cases, injuries caused by grill brush bristles lead to life-threatening
secondary health complications. Bristles may pierce the intestines, which
contain harmful bacteria. These bacteria can spread into the bloodstream
and cause infections.
Fortunately, it is possible to clean your grill without a metal wire brush.
For example, pumice stone, nylon brushes or even aluminum foil can clean grills.
Can I File a Lawsuit for Injuries Caused by a Wire Grill Brush?
Depending on the circumstances, it may be possible to hold the manufacturer
of the grill brush accountable for causing injuries. Bristles should not
break off from these products when they are being used properly by consumers.
Some grill brush injuries may occur because the products in question are
defective and unreasonably dangerous.
If you or a loved one suffered injuries caused by swallowing a grill brush
bristle, it may be possible to pursue damages against the manufacturer
or other parties. The
Washington DC product liability attorneys at Regan Zambri Long, PLLC can help you explore if any legal options may